[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Portent Alliance • View topic - Mind Games

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Post subject: Mind Games
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Excerpt from the journal of Inquisitor Darton T’Nath:

Quote:
Subject: Okammi
Race: Iksar

My latest subject of study comes to me on the charges of insolence toward the Overlord and suspicion of spying. Her exact origins are unknown, as there is no existing record of her lineage. She displays a fierce loyalty toward the old Iksar empire of Kunark, and refuses to accept the rule of the Overlord. An evaluation of her potential worth will be conducted before reconditioning.

Quote:
Further investigation into the subject reveals a keen mind and apparent training in mental magic, though no record of her attending the Academy can be found. This further advances the suspicion that the subject is an infiltrator. I will arrange a session with a torturer to explore this further.

Quote:
I seem to have forgotten to call for a torturer. I was sure that I had, but there is no record of it and when I enquired on the results, they did not know what I was talking about. I’ve been forgetting a lot lately. I have requested that a Coercer from the Academy be sent over, because I fear the subject may be playing with my mind.

Quote:
The Coercer from the Academy is dead. I don’t know what happened. I am covered in blood, but I do not remember anything. Please, whoever reads this; the subject must be (the word "terminated" appears crossed out) released!

Quote:
Princess I am of the happy pretty gryphon sprawled amazing flying gnoll sunset! Bunnies dance the mighty river dogs of herrings sing proudly over moons of waxing gophers. Exuberance fills the brain of my itching scratch that with a stick I will… (remainder of the page illegible from blood stains)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

As my mentor taught me long ago, the first lesson of Fear is as follows:

That which is not known is more terrifying than that which is known. No horrors exist that the legions of Fear can produce that can rival the horrors of the imagination left with only grains of information.

I am an agent of Fear, a loyal follower of my Lord, Cazic Thule. While many of our race prefer to act swiftly with destruction and bloodletting, these actions are not the essence of Fear. To slay one’s family will make them afraid for a time, yes. To witness such a thing will fill them with horror, but that soon turns to grief, vengeance, and resolve. True application of Fear does not leave an enemy capable of acting against you again, though nor does it kill them physically.

It is said that Fear is in the mind, and this is true. The mind is the fertile plains in which the seeds of Fear grow and spread. Like any crop though, Fear must be planted and cared for lest it spoil and become something noble or strengthening. There are many ways to access the minds of your enemies, but I prefer direct influence.

For every bandit who finds himself surrounded by his dead friends, covered in their blood, Cazic Thule smiles. For every unsolvable crime that leads to false accusations, Fear grows stronger. For every shutter locked and door bolted, for every friendship lost, for every withering trust, and with every sleepless night… Fear triumphs.

I am a Coercer, though you will find no record of my training. I am an Iksar, though you will not know my place my birth. I am not recorded, documented, or observed. To the Freeport Militia, I never left the Asylum. I simply ceased to exist. Of course, most that enter that place no longer officially exist. It was the perfect place to leave the last of myself.

I am a ghost. I am unknown. I am Fear.

I am also hungry… even Fear must eat.

Offline Profile