[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Portent Alliance • View topic - Journey of Fire part one

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Post subject: Journey of Fire part one
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:20 pm 
Journey of Fire

Melodee worked her way through the halls of Solsek’s Eye, taking great care to blend into every shadow, avoiding the temple’s guardians as if her life depended on it….which it did. Sweat poured down her back in rivers, drenching the tunic under her chain mail armor and causing her skin to itch like crazy. Her auburn hair, normally fine as corn silk, was plastered to her skull, revealing gently pointed lobeless ears. Eyes the color of the clearest and purest sapphire darted constantly about, ever aware of the constant danger of the place. Precarious as her journey was, a slight smile tugged constantly at the corners of her full-lipped mouth.
The walls of the temple were inlaid with various glyphs and scenes of Solusek’s glory, pictographs of battles the god of fire had fought and won. The rose-colored marble floors reflected the heat of the volcanic earth upon which the sanctum was built. The ceiling towered fifty man-heights above her, fading into obscurity due to its distance. The temple had to be tall…Solusek’s guardians were no mere human, but giants ten times her height. Melodee chuckled silently to herself at thought of one of those giant feet stepping on her slight form, flattening her into half-elven flatbread.
After what seemed an eternity, she left the ornate passages behind and entered an earthen tunnel only thrice her height. Here it was marginally safe from discovery so she took the opportunity to gather her thoughts together, beginning to hum the bars of a song she had learned many seasons before, a song of power which would amplify her various abilities. Those capable of viewing auras of the arcane would discern what looked like musical notes emanating from her head and limbs.
At the end of the passage was a circular platform made of metal and soil. A slight tremor of trepidation surged through her but she shrugged it away, stepped onto the platform, and pushed a lever on the earthen wall. The dais rose smoothly and silently upward until it came to rest at the center of four bridges suspended over a tremendous pit of volcanic fire. Melodee stepped off the podium onto the northernmost structure and began a trek more perilous than any journey she could even imagine. Every step was a nightmare….one wrongly placed foot would plummet her into the lava and eradicate her before she even hit the fiery mass. By the time she finally reached the end of the bridge her lungs ached from the heat, her eyeballs felt as if they had been par-broiled, and her body was swimming in sweat.
Now she stood before a tremendous set of black double doors, a majestic red dragon inlaid into the heavy marble. The chamber which lay behind the doors was huge, large enough to accompany the entire village of Willow Wood. She said a prayer to her patron deity and pressed a series of designs in the combination she had learned to open the doors.
The doors had barely opened when a booming voice spoke from the dark depths of the chamber, “MORTAL! What dost thou here?”
She bowed respectfully before the towering giant within and replied in the ancient Druzaic tongue, “I seek audience with your Master on a matter of great importance.”
The behemoth laughed without humor, “Thou thinkest my Master would deign to grant audience with a puny little insect such as yourself? He would sooner snort the tiniest flame from His divine nostril and char you into a cinder!”
Melodee nodded, “I’m sure he would, Majordomo Inferno, if my request would not benefit himself more than it would me.”
Majordomo Inferno regarded her for a long moment, his eyes seeming to burn into her very soul. Finally he nodded almost imperceptibly and stepped aside, allowing the young woman to pass, “Thou hadst better hope your words meet with his approval”, he warned.
Tell me about it! she thought to herself, Too bad they never taught me a song to augment courage.