[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Portent Alliance • View topic - Notes from Eversong (Ayita)

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:40 am

Post subject: Notes from Eversong (Ayita)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 am 

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ylnwo9.png

<i>July 27, Farstrider Village.</i>

I am making very little progress in getting my thick tauren tongue to cooperate with the daintiness of the Thalassian language.

Aside from this, however, my time in Eversong Woods has been quite productive. The sin'dorei magisters have been exceedingly helpful -- my druidic training has helped me understand the pain of the land around me, but I have trouble searching out the cause. As such a studious and intelligent people, their research has many times supported the senses that I am working so hard to develop. While the blood elves are not in particularly good touch with the earth around them, neither do they actively harm it, and they are fiercely protective of their ancestral lands. I was warned by some of my kin who had visited Silvermoon and interacted with these people before that you could barely see or hear them through the cloud of their arcane addiction. I will be the first to admit it's very tangible, and quite a distraction. But their heartfelt determination shines very clearly through it, and at no time is it more evident than when they discuss the reclamation of their beloved Quel'Thalas.

I am well aware that their ties to the land are sentimental, and their insistence upon reclaiming it more closely related to their culture's power and prosperity than the well-being of the land itself. But I am more than accustomed to the idea of alliances formed for common goals with different motivations. No amount of educating the elves in the ways of the Earthmother will benefit these ravaged lands while the shards of the Scourge remain, much as an arrow or bullet must be safely removed before its wound can be tended and healed.

I have been comforted to some degree by brief contact with other, more familiar members of the Horde. I have met a few trolls and several Forsaken during my time here, though I've yet to see an orc or another tauren aside from my trainer in Silvermoon.

And the elves themselves have welcomed me more warmly than I had expected. I've found many times that diplomatic "friendships" forged by leaders do not necessarily filter well into the daily lives of the people impacted, but my experience here has been much kinder than that of a strategic ally. They seem to understand my good intentions, and have all been truly grateful for a friendly face and a helping hand in the daily tribulations that arise from their circumstances. I have been gifted with robes, armor and weapons, and I do not overlook the effort required to adapt these accoutrements to my size -- indeed, I take an odd pleasure in the puzzled looks from elves who have not encountered my people in the past. Even the tips of their most strapping male warriors' ears barely reach the height of my shoulder.

The light fades now, and there is singing and dancing starting outside by the fire. Admiral Dawnrunner was surprised at how gracefully a being so much larger than her could move; I plan to recall some of my tribe's more vibrant dances to drive the point home.

Offline Profile