[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Portent Alliance • View topic - Mirri and Purraj: Body Count

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Post subject: Mirri and Purraj: Body Count
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:36 am 
Oracle

I remember the first time I met Mirri. "Adorable," I muttered sarcastically. Her fine blonde hair was piled on top of her head in a bun. Delicate tendrils hung loosely around a cute heart-shaped face. She was fit and thin, but seemed too fragile to me as she gazed wide-eyed around our Master's office as we awaited his instructions. She looked like the type who would be squeamish at the sight of blood.

And this was to be my partner.

To say I was displeased in being saddled with a tag-along would be the understatement of the year. I was a rogue. I worked alone. That's what we do. Or what I did. Until our Master decided otherwise.

Our Master had his reasons, of course. He told me that it would be a good experience. And he gave us a lecture about how the most fearsome force in all of Azeroth was never Onyxia, the entire Burning Legion, the Lich King, or some other nonsense. No. He claims that more people fear, and more legends are written about "...and two stealthed rogues" than any over-powered dragon-kill squad. There is some truth to that argument.

But in reality, I think our Master had his own reasons. I have a feeling he wanted to keep me in check...though I swear every person I killed deserved it, and I had a justifiable reason for each one! I'm sure he also wanted to have teams set up so if one person he sends in for a particular target fails, he'll have another person on the same objective to make sure the task is accomplished. Unlike those other masters who send in single assassins, only to have them fail, forcing the next chump, er, rogue start not where the deceased left off, but from square one. Our Master was very shrewd.

He told us we'd begin our training over again...working as a team from the start. He said he wanted us to live together, work together, eat together, (sleep together?!)...anything it took to know each other as well as we knew ourselves. He told us, "If you're on a mission in Ironforge in completely different quarters in the city, you'll still need to know if your partner is alive just by sensing their breath on the air currents."

And so Mirri and I went back to our new quarters. Shared quarters. I resented losing my privacy.

"You know," I told her, as I stood just inside the doorway, "this is the first time I've been stuck with a partner." I leaned back against the doorframe and crossed my arms over my chest, observing her.

"Mmhmm." She barely looked at me as she made her bed, clearly lost in her own thoughts.

"You'd better not disappoint." In less than a blink of the eye, I grabbed a dagger from my belt and threw it at her head. It flew, a perfect blade-over-handle rotation, at a speed where I expected it to bury itself hilt-deep in her skull.

Somehow, she blocked it deftly and simultaneously launched a dagger of her own back at me. I dodged just in time for it to implant into the doorframe where my head had been.

We flashed each other predatory smiles and gazed at each other with narrowed eyes for a seemingly unending moment as we sized each other up. Then, with a nod, we both relaxed and took our hands off our weapons.

Mirri had earned my respect.

"A hit is hard to resist, and I never miss. I can take you out with just a flick of my wrist." ~Garbage

"Look at me, guys! I'm a hunter! PEW PEW!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mirri and Purraj: Body Count
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:00 pm 
Oracle

I came to find that Mirri and I had vastly different styles when it came to accomplishing the goals our Master set forth. If he told us to go in and assassinate a target, I took that to mean that we were to do whatever it took to ensure the target was dead. If that meant razing a city the size of Stormwind and then picking over the rubble to find the body for proof that the target was dead, then I would gladly do it. Mirri, on the other hand, took those orders too literally. "Kill Target X" in her mind meant we were to do exactly that. No more, no less.

She says I'm impatient. I say she needs more flair.

But we do agree on one thing: even if it's not part of our orders, when we come across an Alliance with blood on his hands we gladly avenge his victim.

There seems to be something about swamp gas that must make Alliance stupid. Both Dustwallow Marsh and Swamp of Sorrows are the locations of some of my fondest memories of bonding with Mirri over this agreement. Granted, she goes for the kill out of a sense of justice. I just think it's fun, and it means I don't have to fill out a report to our Master as to why my gear needs more repairs than usual.

The first time we had such a bonding moment was when we were tasked by the captain of the Dawn Runner, a ship that ran aground, to find his stolen cargo and rescue his first mate who was taken captive by Theramore forces. Clues led us to North Point Tower, but before we were there, we heard a piercing scream. We immediately tensed and hid, stealthing our way over to the tower, only to see the Theramore guards jovially saluting the Dwarf paladin who slaughtered the girl in cold blood.

"It wasn't enough that she was already captive," Mirri seethed in a whisper as we watched the oh-so-noble paladin go up the tower steps, probably to claim the cargo for his own reward. Nothing else needed to be said. With fierce intensity, we sapped the guards in the doorway and followed the dwarf to where he cornered himself at the top of the tower.

He didn't know what hit him. Neither did any of the guards as we made our way back down the tower.

You could say that a two-on-one fight is unfair. But is it any less so than killing a bound girl while 4 guards are standing nearby to help if needed?

We don't always gang up on others. We have even taken on fights where we were outnumbered.

For example, once in the Swamp of Sorrows, we heard an alert that one of the patrolling guards was found dead. We thought about leaving the area...we were just passing through and it was no business of ours. That is, until we found another body, clearly looted and spit upon. Again, we went on a hunt to find the perpetrator.

It wasn't one perp. Or two. We came across three Alliance and a pet. Hunter, mage, and "fellow" rogue. The rogue or hunter should have taken care to cover their tracks. Even with the overwhelming scent of rotting vegetation in the Swamp, the slight breeze carried the smell orc blood on their clothes down wind.

We even let them finish off the beast they were attacking. After all, we were trying to let them have a fair fight.

Sapped the mage. Sapped the rogue. Killed the hunter and his pet. Vanished. Sapped the mage again. Killed the rogue. Gave the mage a moment to comprehend her her fate.

Daggers slice through cloth so much easier than leather or mail.

They were dead within seconds of each other. Oh, we didn't desecrate their bodies the way they did to the orcs they killed. But we did leave them to feed the swamp beasts. As far as the Alliance knows, those three merely took on one too many crocolisks and lost. If anyone misses them, that is.

There have been other cases like this, but these occurred early enough in our partnership that they were key in giving us insight into each other's style.

I still don't like having a partner, but considering Mirri has also survived my poison goblet and ice pick trap, I'm glad we at least agree on some things and our methods compliment each other when we're in the field.

"A hit is hard to resist, and I never miss. I can take you out with just a flick of my wrist." ~Garbage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm 
Oracle

As I stated earlier, the Alliance turn STUPID when inhaling swamp gas.

This time it was a human warrior, and in Zangarmarsh. He was battered and bruised and bleeding and barely alive...and all other sorts of nasty "b" words that described his state. He had Horde blood on his hands. The fool came running *right up* to Mirri as she spoke to that mushroom-hugging (I suspect she does other things with shrooms) hippy of a Night Elf who wanted to make peace with all the Bog Lords.

I was hidden...watching closely as a large caravan of bog lords approached where the Night Elf put down her bait.

So imagine our surprise to see this human--this GIFT from the gods themselves (and I'm an atheist)--approach as though we were...well...anything other than rogues.

And that...that...BITCH, Mirri! She was the one who slowly stuck out her blade in disbelief, and severed the man's jugular with the point of her blade. The look on her face was of someone witnessing something surreal. I didn't get a chance to even be SPRAYED with his blood.

Well, despite being a warrior, and despite being stupid on swamp gas, he had the magic to revive himself. I told Mirri I was feeling cat-like. I wanted to PLAY with my food. She's lucky she complied.

We let him get back up and call his horse. Sure, he was slumped over his mount's mane, but I doubt that Horde he slaughtered was in as fine condition.

We struck him. Even his horse stopped. We struck him again, and he fell out of the saddle. He tried to run, so we struck him a third time. He whimpered and accepted his fate. We finished him off.

How boring.

Later we saw the horse moving slowly through the marshland. He was back in the saddle, but we weren't sure if he climbed on and bled out or would find some sucker to help him live. We had other things to do.

On the plus side, that shroom-loving hippy did exactly what she had hoped to accomplish: She fed the bog lords something other than Sporelings. They left most of her body, though. Probably found her too stringy and tasteless. I wonder what bog lords see when they hallucinate?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:05 pm 
Oracle

Our Master sent us to Northrend a little earlier than most people go. He wanted us to prove ourselves.

"You're Horde," he told us. "You need allies for the coming war. Find allies."

I know what he meant. It was a nice way of saying "Go do labor for races like the Taunka and the Tuskarr to cajole, coerce, or otherwise convince them to agree to helping the Horde faction."

However, I couldn't help but delight in the other, unspoken, meaning as we came back to the Taunka village in the Borean Tundra the other day.

"Hey...Mockingbird! We were told to find allies for the Horde, right?" I called out quietly to my partner as we rode in. I think she hated that nickname, so I used it every chance I could.

"Yeah?"

I pointed to the side entrance to the village. "Found an Ally."

She saw where I was pointing, and we simultaneously jumped off our mounts and stealthed.

It was a Dwarf hunter. His pet was dead, and he finally turned to run when the guard he was fighting was getting the best of him. There was one guard dead on the ground already. The second guard brought down the Dwarf, but we knew how people were able to magically revive themselves. We couldn't let this Dwarf go unpunished. Not after all the time we spent trying to get the Taunka to join the Horde.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mirri's eartips twitch in irritation. While Mirri and I are good partners, again I must say we have different ways of dealing with the situation. So I waited, hanging back slightly and surveying the land and our geographical assets to figure out the best, most humiliating, most *painful* way we could make this Dwarf regret his actions. However, before I could call out a plan to Mirri, she shadowstepped behind him as he revived and began to pelt him with stunning blows before laying into him with her blades.

"Sonofa..." I followed her lead and ambushed him as well. I was NOT going to let her have all the fun.

We made quick work of him. To us, it was a matter of seconds. To him, it was literally a lifetime. When we were done, I quirked a grin at Mirri, and pulled a little toy out of my bags and jammed it into his corpse. What began as a foot-long stick extended and unfurled to a large banner on a pole about 8 feet high. The flag was black and had a large "thumbs down" image on it.

"And you questioned why I wanted to become an engineer, didn't you, Mockingbird?"

"You didn't make that, did you?"

"Nope, but let's just say that I've made some friends in the engineering community. Call nearly any piece of junk a 'collectible' and goblins and gnomes will fight each other and trade you virtually anything to get it."

She smiled despite herself. "Fight's not over yet."

"Don't worry...I have more where that came from."

We stealthed again and waited, like lionesses stalking their prey. Funny how the Dwarf's own carcass was also his own bait.

Sure enough, he appeared. We flanked him and rushed in, and within seconds he was down once more. I flashed Mirri another grin and planted another banner into the Dwarf's corpse.

We waited for a few more minutes, but when his physical body melted into the snow, we realized he sold part of his soul to the "Spirit Healer" in order to revive elsewhere. We were actually satisfied with that outcome...to a rogue, scaring someone into submission even without dirtying our blades again with their blood was a victory of its own. The hunter was clearly older and more experienced than us. I'm sure in a fair fight, he could have taken us both down.

Of course, how most people define "fair" is not in a rogue's vocabulary. I've said it before...rogues work on the edge, and often outside, of the law. We have to. Otherwise, we're just melee hunters without pets or chain armor. Rogues who "play fair" by the definition of others end up in jail or dead.

We weren't greeted as heroes when we returned to the village, but we didn't expect that kind of treatment. Perhaps the Taunka feared us a little, but they nodded in gratitude and cut us some extra bargains as we sold off old gear and other items to the merchants. They were probably just glad we were on their side.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 am 
Oracle

Mirri can be interesting, and devious in a way that surprises even me from time to time. I'm beginning to rethink my original assumption that our Master put us together to keep a leash on me, and instead I'm the leash for her.

If she feels wronged in some way, she will lash out in a cold viciousness that is surprising and delightful on so many levels. It's freeing, really, to have tacit permission to take part in the activities that she initiates, even if I must hold back more than I wish to. It's a challenge to stay in line so neither one of us draws more attention than we must. We're rogues, not sword-flailing warriors.

Recently we visited our Master for training, and he told us of a situation in Tarren Mill. Some imbecile of a Night Elf was killing guards for no reason. And he then mocked others who tried to stop him. "I give you permission to go out to Tarren Mill and dealing with the problem," our Master told us. By "permission" he meant he wanted to test us to see what we do.

Looking back, I have to wonder if perhaps he set up the situation. By the time we reached Tarren Mill a few others had already taken the druid down.

Mirri and I surveyed the area, though, and decided he would not get the last laugh. "Come on," she said quietly. "We need to pay Southshore a little visit."

We stealthed our way down the road, careful to avoid people and animals alike. Southshore was not very far away, and we were there within minutes. I wasn't sure what exactly Mirri had in mind, but I followed her lead as she singled out and stalked a guard. A distraction here, some good timing there, and she rushed in at the first opportunity she got. It happened so fast that the guard wasn't able to scream. It happened so fast that I wasn't able to get in a single strike before the guard was dead, either.

We slipped away, but Mirri wasn't done. Another guard became her prey, and without a word she slipped in behind him and ended his life as well.

"What was that for?" I hissed at her as she came back to my vantage point.

"We saw two dead Tarren Mill guards. So I'm evening out the numbers."

"Eye for an eye?"

"Something like that."

"So what, are you going to stand at the end of the road now and mock the Alliance who pass by?"

"No, that's the type of thing fools do."

"Of course. But you know what you did was foolish too, right?"

She gave me a confused look. I glared at her.

"Next time you're planning to do such a thing, let me know in advance, okay? And don't you DARE kill another Alliance without giving me a chance to help." I narrowed my eyes at her. "Or you WILL be next."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:57 pm 
Oracle

We returned to our Master for training and to give our report. Considering the circumstances, there was little in our report that he didn't already know. News of the events at the Wrathgate spread like wildfire, even to those involved in the siege on the Undercity. Our Master wasn't present at either event, but when he spoke to us it seemed as though he had been in the thick of things all along.

We were dismissed, but I hung back. I wanted to be alone and yet I also wanted to discuss what happened. I had never felt so conflicted.

"Is something wrong, Purraj?" he finally said.

I furrowed my brow and stared at the floor, unable to look up at him in case he could read the thoughts that were probably plain on my face. "I'm...trying to figure out what this turn of events means. In the long run."

"Hmm...right now, I'd say it's up to the leaders involved. We are to stay on alert."

"But Sir...King Wrynn threw the first punch. Made the first attack."

"Yes, and your report stated that you and Mirri moved to stop him and his men when they attacked the Warchief."

"We did."

"Are you concerned about striking against a leader of the Alliance? If so, that's not like you. You did the right thing in defending your leader against Wrynn's aggression."

"No, it's not that." I paused, collecting my thoughts. "I guess...what's the next move? When it was over and I returned to Orgrimmar, and later Dalaran, I was pumped up. I vowed that King Wrynn would die with my poisons coursing through his veins. But now...." My voice trailed off as I tried to figure out what was bothering me.

If I looked up at him, I might have seen him lean forward with his fingers templed. Or perhaps he was standing. I wasn't sure. My eyes were glued to the floor.

"King Wrynn has been through a lot at the hands of certain members of the Horde. It is no surprise, then, that his mistrust and even hatred for all Horde races burns within him. But he is no fool. The greater issue right now is Arthas. Both sides lost significant people and Arthas got away, but a mighty blow was still struck against him at the Wrathgate."

I nodded, remembering what I saw, but said nothing.

My Master continued, "If Wrynn focuses on the issue at hand, and channels his rage toward Arthas, our fight with him is at least postponed. However, if he jeopardizes the safety of the Horde and Alliance alike by causing more division at this time..." He came over to me at this point and lifted my chin with his hand so I had to look at him. "Purraj, make no mistake. You are being trained with a purpose. Your instincts were right in defending Thrall, and Lady Proudmoore was right in stopping the fight when she did."

He went back to his desk where he began shuffling through a stack of reports. "We will keep an eye on him. It may be one day that you and Mirri are called upon to target Wrynn if he continues this path of aggression. It will throw the world into more turmoil if we must deal with him in our way, but we will know when the time comes if diplomacy and truces are futile."

"Sir? And in the meantime?"

"In the meantime, you are not yet done with your training. I suggest you get your rest while you can. You will be back in Northrend tomorrow."

I nodded and turned toward the door, still lost in thought, when my Master called out to me one more time. "And Purraj, considering you and Mirri DID attack Wrynn and his guard, and they all survived...you two might want to lay low for a while. If you come across the Alliance, do what you must, but be extra careful with your tactics and alibis."

I quirked a smile, my old confidence returning. "We always do, Sir."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 am 
Oracle

Our Master said to lay low, so I worked on doing just that...out in the public.

I decided to start a business in Silvermoon. It was small and would never be in high demand, but it provided an alibi. Who would dare accuse innocent "Kaya Daybreak: Antiques, Collectables, and Oddities Dealer" of anything malicious when she's earned a reputation as a valued member of society? Mirri did not like the city. In fact, I dare say she was repulsed to being in public at all. Her loss. I was making quite a lot of money from the junk I obtained on our adventures in Northrend.

Of course, I'll never speak of where my goods come from, especially when the pocket watches are still warm from being near their previous owner’s skin. But at least it provided me an explanation when people asked the pesky question, "So what do you do when you're not hawking your wares?" Simple: trade is about networking. The Taunka and the Tuskarr in Northrend were in need of goods too. When I was gone from Silvermoon, I was simply bringing goods from Kalimdor or the Eastern Kingdom out to the northern continent.

While publicly my business was about selling odd wares, realistically, my business was information. I did not buy or sell news of what was going on, but simply kept my ears alert. Often I found myself in the Wayfarer's Rest in Silvermoon, leaning against the railing on the upper floor, listening to the conversations below.

Assassinations and murder were the theme of most conversations these days. First I found out about Priests being targeted. Later, bards. It was all very interesting. But how to turn it to our advantage?

I also began to notice a more disturbing trend that I reported back to my collaborators as soon as I could: The laws of Silvermoon were being challenged, and not by my associates. Apparently we were not the only ones who noticed the recent weakness in the Blood Knight Order’s grip of justice in the city.

Crime began to riddle the streets. Worse, it was very clear that members of the Ebon Blade were responsible for the majority of those crimes. I cared little for the stress it caused the Order, but when my customers and interests came at risk, suddenly I found myself willing to aid the Order in any way possible.

The trick was to maintain my identity. I saw the aftermath of a Death Knight attacking a hunter. A paladin confronted the Death Knight and tried to stop her. It became the typical scenario in which the paladin threatened the Death Knight with retribution, but did not follow through with the punishment. She even laughed in his face and told him she fully intended to finish the job of killing the hunter.

I remember my fingers twitching. I had to stop myself from drawing my blade, shadowstepping behind her, and slitting her throat. It would have been so easy, but it was in public….

The paladin, as it turned out, was not a member of the Order himself. He left it when many members became corrupt and there were few left willing to fight the good fight. He told me he stayed his hand because he, too, was certain he would be arrested if he drew blood, even though the Death Knight deserved to be put to rest a second time.

We spoke of wanting to clean the streets of Silvermoon. I did not tell him of the steps I have been involved in to do just that, but I did use him as a ray of hope that others felt the same way. The city was worth saving, although it would take people willing to pull the trigger to save it.

Others, I found, have the same vision. They are simply afraid to come forward lest they became targets of the gangs roaming the streets. And then there are those who don’t care. I risked everything--my identity, livelihood, and life--to help the Blood Knight, Maenus (one of the few good ones left), deal with some Alliance who attacked the city. And those…those…COWARDS just sat there watching us. Doing nothing to earn the protection we offered. I wished upon them a fate more gruesome than my poisons could mete out.

I’m not sure when it happened, but Silvermoon has become a powder keg waiting for a spark. The Blood Knight Order carries the flint, and the Ebon Blade carries the tinder. Sooner or later they will strike each other for control of the city.

Temporary chaos followed by potential restoration of order? Could it be possible? Count me involved...as long as Mirri doesn't accuse me of going soft for "the greater good."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Just another night in Silvermoon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:42 pm 
Oracle

People waved to me as I passed them on my way to my usual seat at the bar in the Wayfarer's Inn. I vaguely recognized them, but it didn't matter. I waved back. And smiled.

"Hey Kaya, how's business?" asked the man standing near the bar. Ygdrasill was a paladin of the Argent Crusade. A good guy. Noble. Honorable. Together, we often lamented the lawlessness in the city.

Vil'te, the troll often tending the bar, popped up from behind the counter and pushed a glass toward me. "Da usual," he said, and I pushed a few coins back in his direction. The concoction was one of chocolate, vanilla, a hint of mint, and kicked like a tired mule--enough to feel it, but not enough to knock a person down.

I nodded toward Ygdrasill while sipping my drink. "Couple of sales today, and I'm expecting another soon--ah! Speak of the devil, it's my next customer!"

A Forsaken man approached, carrying a large medical satchel. I waved with enthusiastic familiarity when he set the case down next to me. Fran, or more formally known as Doctor Meurtierre, and I did some quick business. He approved of the small sacks and jars and vials I was able to produce from my bags. Thankfully, he only opened them a little and peeked inside to guarantee the contents (a practice I'd gotten used to in Booty Bay) before handing me the coin purse that contained my payment. Everyone knew I just sold him an array of skulls, body parts, and fluids for his surgery business. No one asked where I got them. No one asked on whom he would use them. All they cared about was the the items did not touch the bar top where food was served.

Ygdrasill looked a little green, but kept a straight face. "What else have you sold today?"

"Oh, I have a new supply of Pet Rocks for the hunters." I altered my voice slightly, raising it so it could cut across the rest of the chatter of the bar without coming across as shouting. "Hunters with allergies have no problem with these. And negligent hunters can forget to feed them without the risk of DHETA coming down on them with abuse charges. They don't need exercise to stay in shape. They're quiet and don't take up much room, making them perfect for people living in close quarters. They never get sick, and they'll never stare at you when you're having sex. Really, they're the best companion a hunter could hope for!" I spoke with the practiced rattle of an experienced merchant, the virtues of my Pet Rocks catching the attention of nearby patrons. Sure enough, people began approaching, inquiring about their price and, believe it or not, pedigree. I gave Ygdrasill an apologetic smile, asking him to wait a moment while I sold off the rest of my stock.

When the customers dispersed and went back to their seats with their new pets, Ygdrasill spoke to me quietly, "Why do I feel like I just helped you con these people?"

My eyes went wide and I gave him an innocent look. "Sir, what are you implying?! My business is perfectly legitimate. These items do everything I said they'd do. Plus, I had to import them from Kalimdor. It's not always easy business with the Timbermaw, you know, especially if you want to stay on their good side. They don't like parting with those things."

"Yeah, but...oh nevermind." His head snapped up and he saluted an approaching figure. "Lord Dawnblood, good to see you."

Maenus Dawnblood peered around at the patrons of the tavern, obviously on his rounds. He wore a crooked grin as the patrons quieted slightly and stared as he passed. "Sir Ygdrasill, all is well here?" Despite the two paladins not being of the same faction, they got along respectfully.

"Nothing notable, but the night is still young."

Maenus nodded at Ygdrasill and turned to me. "Kaya, are you on business or break?"

I pushed a few more coins to Vil'te as he popped up again with a refill on my drink and turned back toward the newcomer with a smile. "A little of both, it seems."

"She's made a few more sales since she got in a short while ago," Ygdrasill said with a grin.

But the three of us were aware that our idle chatter was merely that. For our own reasons, we were all observing the table of Death Knights near the entranceway out of the corners of our eyes. They had visibly stiffened when Maenus entered the tavern. Strange that they were not bothered by Ygdrasill's Crusader armor, but became tense upon seeing Maenus's crimson and black plate and Blood Knight tabard. Another Death Knight, apparently a companion of theirs, entered the room, saw Maenus, sneered, and turned on his heel. He went to the table furthest from the Blood Knight and sat down glaring at Maenus, while his friends moved to join him. They leaned in toward each other, whispering.

"Well, as long as things are in your hands, I'll continue on my rounds. I'll be back later. Let me know if you need anything." Maenus was clearly having a hard time wiping the grin of amusement off his face. The two men saluted, and Maenus left, making a deliberate pass by the table of Death Knights.

Ygdrasill and I chuckled to each other as another familiar patron, a flamboyant man who flirted with everyone to an uncomfortable degree, accidentally ran into Maenus in the doorway. Instead of apologizing, the man tried flirting with the Blood Knight...until Maenus recognized him as a paladin and gave him a short, sharp lecture about his behavior. The man's ears wilted until Maenus was out of sight, then he proceeded to a table of women and tried flirting with them instead. They were not impressed.

Our attention was drawn to another Death Knight lurking in the tavern. She twitched and hissed at people, showing the same mental capacity as a rabid animal. Ygdrasill got a strange look on his face...one almost of glee. "Stay here," he told me. "I'll take care of this."

I finished my drink as I watched the Paladin do his job. He went over to the woman, his holy book in one hand, quietly chanting incantations. The woman twiched and backed away from him. A few tavern patrons went to intercept Ygdrasill, but he was clearly intent on his work. "LIGHT BE WITH YOU!" he called out as he cast a blessing upon the woman. She shrieked and hissed again, and I noted as a Death Knight pulled his weapon and approached the paladin.

Ygdrasill was not about to be stopped. He pulled a vial from a pouch and clutched it firmly in his hand so the people wanting to--protect?--the woman could not take it from him. He began chanting again at the woman, and she looked ready to fight back. I nonchalantly stuck out my foot as the other Death Knight passed, tripping him and sending him crashing into the others making their way to stop Ygdrasill from doing his duty. It caused enough of a commotion to make almost everyone turn...everyone except Ygdrasill and the feral woman.

Ygdrasill raised his hand holding the vial. His thumb flicked the stopper off, and he splashed the woman with water. "LIGHT TAKE YOU!" he shouted. The woman shrieked again as if in pain and covered her face, trying to wipe off the water. Seeing Ygdrasill still advancing upon her, she fled the tavern, the paladin short on her heels.

Everyone stared, unsure of what happened. I shrugged at the few people giving me inquisitive looks. They knew I was friends with the man, and they wanted to know what he did. The Death Knight I had tripped got up and began advancing on me, so I pulled out an identical vial from my bags and stared him down. "Stratholme Holy Water. Don't leave home without it." Suddenly he began to retreat away from me. It might have been the threat of the holy water (as though I have any clue how to use it), or it might hvae been because Vil'te popped up from behind the bar again, his own axe unsheathed.

The relative returning calm of the tavern was shattered as we heard guards shouting and alarm bells going off. Alliance threat, we all knew. Some of us scrambled to action...I went to my cart in the Bazaar, others took up their weapons. Many, I noted, acted as though they heard nothing. I glanced at the faces as I left, noting who they were, but then turned to more important matters.

Maenus was already fighting. One or two others were standing there, considering coming to his aid.

I noticed my cart overturned and looted. "Oh for..." I growled and was unable to finish the sentence. I jumped into a corner and stealthed, quickly changing into my "work clothes" as I watched the scene unfold. I even pulled my mask on...no one needed to know "Kaya Daybreak"'s skill with a blade.

I watched the fight closely, timing when to jump in. The Draenei shaman began casting a heal on his partner. I shadowstepped behind him and landed a cheap shot. "Oh no you don't!" I hissed at him. It was enough of a stun to keep the Draenei incapacitated while Maenus took down the human rogue. We both worked over the Draenei, next. He tried running, but the crippling poison on my blades slowed him down. He tried casting a hex on me, but a kick to the chin stopped that nonsense. Maenus was the one who actually brought the Draenei down, but I was glad to time my interrupts as needed.

I saluted the Blood Knight once the intruders were taken care of, then stealthed again. I had to change before anyone could put two and two together. He found me by my cart in my usual "merchant clothes" and helped me upright the cart onto its wheels again. "Thank you, sir, for protecting the people of this city!"

He nodded. "Just doing my job." He bowed and left, probably to file an incident report and dispose of the bodies.

I finished securing my belongings, but my blood was still pumping. "Just another typical night in Silvermoon," I mused. "I wonder what boredom Mirri is up to."

Offline Profile